Director Strategic Communications
The Director of Strategic Communications will lead an aggressive program of online and offline communications, including both strategy and tactics to convey the breadth of the association's interests and expertise. The Director will be responsible for:
- Building awareness and support among targeted audiences including LeadingAge members, policy makers, key partners, consumers and the media
- Advancing organization’s advocacy, education and research agendas through message and content
- Enhancing the public image and reinforcing the brand of organization and its members
- Educating the public and key stakeholders about organization’s mission and priorities
The Director will serve as organization’s key media strategist and spokesperson. He or she will work closely with the Director of Government Relations and Public Affairs and the Director of Communications and Membership, and on occasion, interns and outside consultants.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field plus a minimum of 10 years management or professional experience in media relations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred
- Experience with developing, editing, repurposing and sharing web-friendly content (basic understanding of SEO)
- Demonstrated commitment to and direct experience with using and creating content for social media
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex issues concisely, consistently and memorably for the media and other audiences
- Experience managing website development and/or design projects
- Strong organizational, time and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to listen effectively and communicate persuasively
- Prior experience fostering cooperation and working collaboratively with colleagues across teams and with external partners
- Thorough knowledge of public and media relations tools, techniques, and databases
- Strong knowledge of AP format
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office
Background at a PR firm, media outlet and/or association is a definite plus. Knowledge of aging services issues strongly preferred.
To apply: Interested candidates should send resume to Kathryn Brod, President/CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional questions regarding the position, please contact Kathryn at (614) 545-9014.
Deadline for submissions is 4/30/19.