Chief Executive Officer
Ohio Association for Justice
The Ohio Association for Justice is the statewide bar association for trial attorneys. OAJ is a non-partisan organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the 7th Amendment right to trial by jury.
The CEO of the OAJ is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, budgeting and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, governance and human resources for the organizational staff. The position reports directly to the Board of Trustees.
1) Board Governance: Works with the Executive Committee and Board of Trustees in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading the OAJ staff and finances in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Trustees
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the 501(c)6, 501(c)3 and OAJ Political Action Committee, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of all organizational entities in a positive financial position
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support OAJ’s mission, political advocacy and education goals/directives
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and legal community outreach.
- Responsible for execution of both the Annual and Winter Convention programs that are the flagship events of the organization and vital to its financial health
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that the directives of the OAJ Board of Trustees are carried out efficiently, in a financially sound manner, and furthers the mission of the Ohio Association for Justice
- Responsible for the enhancement of the organization’s image by being active and visible in the local, state and national legal community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and executes all day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Responsible effective administration of the operations of all three OAJ entities
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff
- Oversee the professional development of OAJ staff members
- Responsible for signing all agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization
- A bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior management experience
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of an organization’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, elected officials and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
Actual Job Responsibilities:
1. Planning, formation and operation of the annual budget(s) of the 501(c)6, 501(c)3, and political action committee.
2. Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of OAJ, in conjunction with the OAJ board of trustees.
3. Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and nationally and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance OAJ’s Mission.
4. Report to and work closely with the Officers, Executive Committee and Board of Trustees to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization throughout the State.
5. Supervise and collaborate with organization staff.
6. Strategic planning and implementation.
7. Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
8. Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
9. Review and approve contracts for services, within the parameters of the approved annual budget.
10. Other duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees.
Salary commensurate with experience. OAJ offers health, retirement, and dental benefits.
To apply: please submit resume and cover letter to Jason Porter at jasonp@OAJustice.org
Deadline for submissions is 05/03/2019.