Marketing and Events Coordinator
Ohio Association of County Boards of DD | Worthington, Ohio
The Ohio Association of County Boards of Developmental Disabilities (OACB), a non-profit trade association providing advocacy, communications, technical assistance, and professional development support to Ohio’s 88 county boards of DD, seeks a Marketing and Events Coordinator.
This position will play a significant role in planning the operational and logistical aspects of OACB’s in-person events and virtual meetings, including two large (1000+ participant) conferences held in Columbus each year. Between events, the Coordinator will also assist with general internal marketing and communications tasks such as managing social media content, creating/formatting various e-mail publications, and maintaining member data within the association’s CRM platform. The position will require substantial interaction with OACB members; applicants must have excellent written and verbal communications skills as well as a customer-experience-centered attitude.
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience ($40,000/year minimum);
- Generous universal paid time off with regular step increases based upon years of service;
- Employer-provided health, vision, and dental insurance;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) annual mental health counseling session entitlement;
- 401(k) with up to 5% employer contribution match;
- Flexible remote work options; and
- A positive, supportive workplace culture committed to personal growth and work-life balance.
Equity, Inclusion, and Non-Discrimination: OACB is committed to maintaining an equitable, inclusive workplace environment where all employees feel welcomed, supported, and valued for who they are. As such, they do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual or affectional orientation, gender identity, age, disability, economic circumstance, veteran status or any other criteria not listed here but which may be prohibited local, state, or federal law.
Required Availability: This is a full-time, overtime-exempt position. The Coordinator will work 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (or general equivalent), excluding holidays. Limited evening work will be required during the association’s conferences in May and December of each year.
Position Location: All association employees are currently working in a remote or “work-from-home” arrangement for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, with in-person responsibilities expected to become more common in mid-to-late 2021. If the Coordinator is required to work on-site, OACB is committed to following all public health requirements and best practices. PPE will be provided and social distancing will be enforced during all in-person interactions. Upon the conclusion of the pandemic, OACB will re-evaluate the work location of all employees in line with the needs of their members and the wishes of individual staff members.
Important Skills and Traits (minimum requirements)
- 1-3 years minimum experience in communications, public relations, and/or event coordination (work completed as an undergraduate or graduate student may be considered if it is well-documented and of high quality).
- Ability to work independently, self-motivate, anticipate project needs, and meet simultaneous deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Positive, down-to-earth demeanor to relate to and communicate with a diverse customer base of association members from different backgrounds and at different levels of professional seniority.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to switch between various writing styles (educational, technical, marketing/promotion, etc.) throughout the course of a typical day.
- Practice with maintaining an organizational voice across platforms and projecting OACB’s customer-first approach in all member interactions.
- Hands-on experience with complex event planning/coordination and the ability to see potential problems and pitfalls before they happen (i.e. wording that may confuse customers, incomplete processes, unclear communication of expectations, etc.).
- Ability to think about events and internal processes from a customer’s perspective and adapt/improve those processes. OACB is looking for an attendee advocate who can make customers feel heard and taken care of.
- Experience with content management systems and online form builders.
- Experience with social media community management, specifically Facebook and Twitter.
- Functional understanding of event financials and basic cost/revenue.
- Computer, program, and office skills typical of a modern professional position (i.e. e-mail, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Zoom, etc.).
Bonus Skills and Attributes (experience that will make you stand out from other applicants)
- Familiarity with Ohio’s developmental disability service delivery system and state government structure;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Audition);
- Photography skills;
- Experience with publication layout/design;
- Spoken/written languages other than English.
How You Will Contribute to the Mission:
Event Planning and Management (50%)
- Act as general point of contact for customers seeking information about OACB’s professional development opportunities and answer inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Work with OACB staff organizing online and in-person trainings to plan registration emails and event-related communications.
- Create registration forms and oversee digital registration of in-person and online events through OACB’s proprietary event tracking software, answering member inquiries as they arise.
- Track professional development credits granted for OACB events by state regulators and county board superintendents and maintain the association’s event credit records.
- Ensure that continuing professional development units are prepared for distribution after all OACB events and answer customer questions related to attendance and credits.
- Interface with event vendors, plan booth layouts for events in conjunction with OACB operations staff, and ensure vendors have a positive on-site experience.
- Set up technology/equipment as needed, including digital projectors, presentation laptops, wireless presentation remotes, and other devices as requested.
- Deliver meal-counts to venue catering staff by established deadlines and ensure consistent quality on site alongside OACB’s operations staff.
- Gather content for and edit event programs, ensuring that all event-related literature is clear, concise, and error-free.
- Act as in-session Zoom administrator/facilitator during digital events, answering participants’ questions and troubleshooting technical issues.
- Work with OACB administrative staff to ensure that event billing is processed and that billing-related customer service inquiries are replied to promptly.
Communications/Marketing Support (40%)
- Help monitor and manage OACB’s online social media communities on Facebook and Twitter, identifying social media content for posts and moderating comments.
- Collect and archive news stories featuring OACB members on a daily and weekly basis.
- Assist colleagues in writing and editing a variety of materials including (but not limited to) event literature, state-level advocacy documents, training materials, presentations, website announcements, and more.
- Contribute to and proofread OACB e-publications to ensure they are error-free.
- Maintain an Events Calendar for OACB members of upcoming trainings (free and paid) and update the OACB website regularly.
- Document OACB events on social media, tagging and interacting with county boards of DD and affiliate members to establish and build online rapport.
- Monitor OACB’s online reputation and those of association members, reporting potential communications needs to the Communications Director.
Administrative Support/Other Duties (10%)
- Maintain OACB’s email distribution lists in the association’s email marketing platform, ensuring that all publication data is kept up to date.
- Maintain OACB’s email listservs, adding and removing members as needed within association policies and procedures.
- Update OACB’s online Member Directory as needed, assisting members with routine changes and elevating technical issues when required.
- Other basic administrative duties as assigned.
To apply: Please email a resume and two writing samples to Erich Hiner at email@example.com no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, March 1, 2021.