Government Relations Director
Ohio Academy of Family Physicians | Columbus, OH
The Ohio Academy of Family Physicians (OAFP) is a statewide professional association with 5,200 members, including practicing family physicians, family medicine residents and medical students. Since 1948, the OAFP has represented the professional interests of Ohio family physicians, provided postgraduate medical education and encouraged medical students to enter this field and to advance the patient-physician relationship. The OAFP is one of the largest, most active chapters of the American Academy of Family Physicians.
The OAFP seeks a driven, advocacy-focused, association professional to fill the Academy’s newly established Government Relations Director role.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and execute the association’s advocacy initiatives as prioritized in OAFP’s strategic plan
- Work closely with OAFP’s contracted lobbyist to respond to pending legislation and administrative rules of interest to the OAFP
- Represent the OAFP before policy makers and in allied coalitions as needed
- Coordinate member testimony, and if required, testify on relevant legislative or regulatory issues
- Establish and manage a grassroots network of family physicians in order to organize the membership for action on issues as they arise
- Prepare legislative talking points, newsletter articles, press releases, Speak Out letters, written testimony, and other advocacy tools on key issues for members and stakeholders
- Work with staff to maintain and update the advocacy areas of the OAFP’s website
- Utilize social media to promote the OAFP’s advocacy agenda
- Collaborate with other organizations with similar advocacy goals and aims to advance the initiatives of the OAFP
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Public Policy Committee
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Academy’s Family Medicine Political Action Committee (FM-PAC)
- Assist with the advocacy preparation of conferences, board and committee meetings
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Experience in a nonprofit association, state government, or government relations/advocacy management organization
- Demonstrated experience working with government agencies, healthcare companies, or equivalent organizations
- Strong written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with staff, consultants, and volunteer committees
Education & Work Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree from a four year accredited college/university
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant professional experience
- PC experience with Windows operating system
- Ability to work within a hybrid (virtual/in-office) setting
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, résumé and salary requirements to Executive Vice President Kate Mahler, CAE via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
4075 N. High St.
Columbus, OH 43214
The deadline to apply is June 6, 2022.