Good Pressure, Bad Pressure
Raise your hand if this narrative is familiar
Here is the narrative that sometimes runs through my head. Raise your hand if it’s familiar:
I need to do something because…
- Everything around me will fall apart otherwise.
- I’ll be a failure if the thing I’m working on fails.
- People I care about are going to think I’m incompetent.
- I’ll be found out as a fraud.
- I’m worried about my career, which will put my future and my family’s future at risk.
It’s not a good place to be, having those thoughts. I call it being in The Pit, when you feel there are thousands of miles to go, but you’re stuck in a hole. It’s when the scathing commentary of your inner critic echoes off the sheer walls, turning from whispers into screams.
Please select this link to read the complete post from Medium.