ASAE Updates 2020 CAE Renewal Standards
The changes come as COVID-19 wreaks havoc on in-person learning
On behalf of the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE), OSAE wants to thank you for your participation in the Certified Association Executive (CAE) program and your commitment to the association industry.
For those that are renewing their CAE credential this year (December 2020 deadline), changes have occurred as we are now in a difficult period with COVID-19 and many educational events have been canceled or postponed. Given this, the CAE Commission is offering additional options to assist those due to renew this year.
- The renewal deadline has been extended from Dec. 31, 2020 to March 31, 2021.
- The cap on self-study has been lifted. All 40 credits needed for renewal now may be taken through any amount of live and/or approved self-study courses.
- The early renewal discount will be extended to completed renewals submitted through March 31, 2021. The discounted renewal fee is $275 for ASAE members and $425 for nonmembers.
These additional options apply only for this renewal cycle for those originally due to renew by December 2020. Forty credits will be required for renewal. including one credit of ethics-focused education. Up to 10 credits from association management leadership, instruction or writing activities may still be applied to the application.
All 40 credits needed for renewal may be taken through any amount of live and/or approved self-study courses.
- The first 20 self-study CAE credits should be entered under the self-study section of the CAE renewal application
- Additional self-study courses should be entered under the “college course” section. The system will prompt you to upload your certificate of completion.
All credits for this renewal must have been earned from January 1, 2018 through March 31, 2021. All credits must be completed when you submit your application.
The CAE Commission hopes these temporary changes will be helpful to those seeking renewal. Again - thank you for your commitment to excellence in association management and your continued support of the CAE Program. For assistance or further guidance, contact the ASAE CAE Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 626-2759.