Complete Story


Ohio Division of Liquor Offers Online Portal for Temporary Permit Applications

Learn more about the portal

The Ohio Division of Liquor Control (ODLC) is always looking for ways to improve the user experience while maintaining its regulatory function. One area of focus is creating more online options for externals users to interact with the division.

While this will certainly benefit our 25,000 plus permit holders, it will also help your nonprofit, too. In case you were unaware, ODLC launched an online portal for temporary permit applications. Nonprofits are encouraged to apply online for these permits because it helps the division process these applications more quickly. It also gives the applicant the option to submit any needed documents through the portal and use more secure and convenient payment options, such as credit cards and electronic debits.

To learn more about the temporary permit portal visit Once there, select “Temporary (Event) Permit Info” on the left-hand side of the page.

More about Temporary Permits

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ODLC issued, on average, more than 7,000 temporary permits a year to nonprofits to sell alcoholic beverages at functions such as festivals, farmers markets, and your local fish fry.

While the pace of applicants slowed down in 2020 and 2021, the division has issued more than 900 temporary permits during the first quarter of this year for events scheduled as far out as December. Because the division anticipates that the state is returning to pre-pandemic numbers in terms of temporary permits getting issued, it wants to make sure that Ohio’s nonprofits know there exists an online tool to make the application process for temporary permits faster and smoother.

Temporary Permit Tips

Ohio offers various types of temporary permits depending on who the nonprofit is, what the event is for, and what types of alcohol you want to sell. A few things to remember are:

  • Temporary permits cannot be issued for the profit or gain of a private individual or to a for-profit organization.
  • File your application at least 30 days before your event. This gives us enough time to contact the local county board of election to determine whether the type of alcohol sales you want are allowed at the applied-for location.
  • Temporary permit holders are subject to the same rules as bars and restaurants, minus some exceptions, and 
  • The temporary permit holder is responsible for what occurs at their event so be careful who you might hire to assist in running your event, like servers, etc.

Check out ODLC's website for more information on local option wet/dry laws; how outdoor refreshment areas and temporary permits interact; more specifics on what you can and cannot do as a temporary permit holder and the various types of permits that may apply to your organization and event.

Liquor permits, including temporary ones, can be legally complex. There can be many factors and variables applicable to your situation. Because ODLC cannot provide you with legal advice, the division always recommends consulting your own private liquor attorney so that they can give you the specific advice you may need for your situation.

If you still have questions, please email ODLC at

Printer-Friendly Version